Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

Today I had the daunting task of  trying (emphasis on "trying") to find myself a bathing suit. Never before has this been a daunting task, as pre-marriage/pre-pregnancy, my weight maxed out at all of 125 lbs. No, I've never been super model skinny, but I've also never been overweight - at all.

In fact, I can go as far as to say that I have never once felt insecure in my body... ever. Well, until now.

So, my shopping trip: I checked out Bikini Village (the name itself should have been my first clue!) with no luck. Sears had about 5 bathing suits, all aging me about 60 years. The Bay had none. Wal-Mart had ones that were made for a pre-pubescent 13 year old. Finally, exhausted, feeling very pale and very large, I asked for help.

After dragging myself (and Jon and Poppy - both wonderful shoppers, might I add) around town desperately trying to find a magical bathing suit that will make me look the way I used to (minus the stretch marks and extra pounds), I got a notification on my BlackBerry from Facebook that said:

"I've got to say that judging on recent appearances, you look better now than before you got pregnant!~ Embrace it - you are glowing and gorgeous, as only motherhood can make you!!"

You know what? She's right. I still feel like she's completely delusional because when I look in the mirror, a 'glowing and gorgeous' woman is most certainly not what I see. But, still, she's right.

(Don't get me wrong, by the way - I don't think I'm some hideous Frankenstein relative or something! My body is just a lot different than how it used to be!)

I've said before many times, "How can a woman feel fat after being pregnant?! You drop like 30 pounds in a couple of weeks!" But now I get it. I still feel like that 115 lb teeny bopper (as my Grandma would say!), but I don't have her body anymore!

I gave life to a beautiful little princess I love with all of my heart. And given the chance, including the stretch marks and extra pounds, I would, and hope to, do it over again in a heartbeat. Nothing, and I mean, nothing, compares to the love a mother has for her baby.

So moms, "Embrace it - you are glowing and gorgeous, as only motherhood could make you!"

Three cheers for baby induced stretch marks!!!

:)

1 comment:

  1. :) Love it! I wouldn't trade my stretch marks either...but I still don't LOVE wearing a bathing suit. But neither am I going to stay on the sidelines...what kind of a life would that be??? Booooooring! Enjoy your princess!
    D

    ReplyDelete